ADDANKI AND ONGOLE TRADITION OF SINGING TARANGAMS
It is seen from the research associates such as Natarajan and Others, the tradition of singing Tarangams in Addanki and Ongole Tradition is unique.
After attaining Sanyasa Ashramam Narayana Theertha during his tour, he reached the Ongole area and spent a considerable part of his time. In that area before he proceeded to Tirupathi and later to Tamilnadu. For about twelve years he spent in deep penance on the top of the hill of Singarakonda(Lord Narsimhashrine). Eight kilometers from Addanki and 40 K.M. North West of Ongole. During his stay at Addanki, he attracted a large number of diseiples and later moved further to Ongole and Singarayakonda, near Ongole where at the shrine of Yogananda Laxhminarsimha on the hill, he was relieved of stomach ailment. The hill at Singarayakonda located his picture’s view.
About 60 villages people have learnt Tarangams through him. This traditional information his reinforced in the Addanki – Ongole area continue to learn and propogate the Tarangams in the manner Theertha had taught them to his first deciples at Addanki, Ongole area.
Day long Night long Bhajans were commonly held at Addanki and in these Bhajans only Narayana Theertha’s Tarangams were song. Addanki Venkatarayudu, Palaparthi Narsimhadas, Challa Laxmaiah, TadigadapaPedda Seshaiah who were natives of Addanki belonged to the parampara. Not only at addanki but in many adjacent villages, Taranga Kalakshepam was a common activity.
About 10 families are deepley involved in the preservation of the pure Theertha Tradition. They are…….
1) Mynampati Varu
2) Bommaraju Varu
3) Chadalavada Varu
4) Ramayanam Varu
5) Rachapudi Varu
6) Poruri Varu
7) Kota Varu
8) Ghorakavi Varu
9) Nilam Raju Varu
The list may not exhaustive.
The following mainly emphasize the singing of Tarangams in Theertha’s style
1) The Tradition attaches considerable importance to patronage of literature, music orientation Laya Vinyasa.
2) The Tradition is routed in group singing
3) Using of additional adjectives describing the Lord’s Leela’s in Tarangams
4) The importance of Vedic literature observed in the Tarangams
5) The traditional Kuchipudi Dance relevance in Tarangams
6) The Bhakti Bhava of Radha in Tarangini
7) The Social aspects in Tarangini
8) The involvement of love and affection of Mother in Tarangini
9) Gurusishya parampara in Krishna Leela Tarangini
10) The Bhakti Cult in Villages prominently exposed in Tarangams
The above furnished in information of Narayana Theertha is to be deepley looked into and a Thorough research on the life of saint Narayana Theertha can achieve good results for the future generation.